OFF: Summer fests

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Thu May 24 15:57:59 EDT 2001

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 11:54:59AM -0400, K Henderson wrote:
> Also, here in Chesterville, OH (well, between Columbus and Mansfield) will
> be the Burning Corn fest, a sort of midwestern answer to the infamous
> Burning Man fests in Nevada.  July 28th - 29th, 2001 are the dates.

Hmmmm, that sounds kinda cool.

> Probably a bit like the pagan fest thingy at Brushwood
> (is that on again, Eric?  Who's playing?) I imagine.

That'd be Starwood.  (Starwood's an event; Brushwood is where it
takes place.)

A bit similar, judging by the BC web site.  Starwood also has a
certain tendency towards "crazed costumes, burning things, and
naked people", but it's a pretty organized affair, not tabula
rasa as BC seems to be (and I guess the original Burning Man
too).

Yeah, Starwood's happening; I'll be there.  Nothing particularly
spacerocky on the bill (sheerest coincidence that Einstein's
Secret Orchestra played both Starwood and SD last year).  The
performance closest to on-topic-ness would be Ron Slabe: "Using
electronics and found objects, he weaves diverse influences into
a dense sonic web designed to invoke a variety of emotional
states."

http://www.rosencomet.com/starwood2001/ ... Click on "Program" to
see what organized events are scheduled.

Brushwood also has a site at www.brushwood.com; there's other
stuff happening there all summer.

These things go on all summer; this year I may try to catch more
of them.  One more or less in your neighbourhood, Keith, is Pagan
Spirit Gathering, somewhere in southeastern Ohio.  Some people I
met at Starwood last year had also been at PSG, and gave it good
reviews.  http://www.circlesanctuary.org/psg/

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
necessarily a good idea.