OFF: Summer fests

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri May 25 09:46:22 EDT 2001

Eric said...

>Apologies for following up my own post.
>
>On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 03:57:59PM -0400, I wrote:
>> The performance [at Starwood] closest to on-topic-ness would be Ron Slabe
>
>I missed one of the events pages.  Turns out both Einstein's
>Secret Orchestra and Speaker Cranker are on tap too.
>
>ESO does good spacerock -- some people will be familiar with them
>from SD2K.  I'm more than happy to catch them again -- especially
>with no SD to look forward to :-(
>
>Dunno about SC, but they sound interesting (their blurb cites
>Krautrock bands and early Floyd).  I missed their set last year,
>so I'm glad of a second chance.

Well, the band that played just after ESO at SD2K called 'Trans-Lunar
Express' was mostly Speaker\Cranker, plus a few other Cleveland luminaries.
Jim Jones of Pere Ubu is the synth player, and the two brothers that make up
Puff Tube (the group that did that crazy version of QSC on Doug's HW
tribute) are also in S\C.  They just opened up www.speakercranker.com which
I haven't even seen yet. The band is well worth seeing...I caught them
opening for both Gong and Bevis Frond, as well as the TLE performance at
SD'2K.  All improv - different every time.  Escapade-style.

>The blurbs for both bands are at
>http://www.rosencomet.com/starwood2001/pufferdome.html
>
>Dunno if it's worth spending a week at Starwood *just* for this,
>but since I'll be there anyway ... cool!

Is there a schedule?  Perhaps they'd play on consecutive days.  Then I'd
really think about it.

Grakkl (FAA)