OFF: Speaker\Cranker

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri May 25 11:52:05 EDT 2001

>In message <200105251458.KAA14443 at mail6.uts.ohio-state.edu>, K
>Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU> writes
>>Well, the band that played just after ESO at SD2K called 'Trans-Lunar
>>Express' was mostly Speaker\Cranker, plus a few other Cleveland luminaries.
>>Jim Jones of Pere Ubu is the synth player
>
>This sounds interesting... do they have any CDs out?

>From www.aural-innovations.com...

Speaker\Cranker - Speaker\Cranker (1999) Holophon (HOCD 001)

I mentioned this new entity in the last Korner, and said you'd be hearing
more about them soon.  Luckily, their debut CD came out on schedule, and I
couldn't be happier.  These six Clevelanders have brought forth some
extremely exciting music in this hour-long gem.  S\C stick pretty closely to
the extended kraut-style instrumental jams, so they don't depart too much
from what Mushroom is doing out west or what The Spacious Mind started out
with a few years back.  But certainly, each of these improv artists *have*
to provide some different ideas and voices.  It's like pale ale, you just
have to try them all.

Trying to give you a rundown of everything the Crankers try out on this
album would take way too much space.  But basically, the music can be
cordoned off into the hypno-rhythm aspect (generally bass and drums) and
then the free-flowing lead voices.  As in Neu!, the drummer is a
particularly important ingredient in the stew, and here Scott Pickering
really stands out.  In fact, his playing is far more involved and busy than
Klaus Dinger ever attempted, and yet Pickering still plays with that
'looping' feel that (along with Jim Donadio's bass) lays the rolling
foundation for the others.  These include dual guitarists Dave Swanson and
Keith Pickering, neither of which seem to fit into divisible roles as 'lead'
and 'rhythm.'  More often than not, the two are simultaneously wandering off
into their own thing, whether that be slide work, long sustain, heavy echo,
light and nimble licks, probably some e-bow, etc.  And then of course, this
is all topped off by the synth work of Jim Jones (he of Pere Ubu fame) and
the barrage of sonic samples, various tape-effects and weird oscillator
noises that Dave Cintron adds.  In the end, you could argue either that the
album features 'no solos' or 'nothing but solos' and both would be right on.
It's a matter of perspective.

"Mar Luna" and "Stick Shift Effigy," both near the album's outset are
probably the strongest works on the album, though it's hard to find a weak
spot.  "Baby Please Go Home" is the one place where they break form and try
out a rhythmless experimental piece, a la Faust.  The dialtone sounds placed
about a half-step apart cause you a bit of queasiness, but it's an effect
that works.  "Dome Piece," the 27-minute finale is quite a symphony in
itself, and features a section I really like where a particular guitar riff
is constructed and then dismantled in small parts, such that the piece takes
on the feel of a 'theme and variation' composition.  Later on, I seem to
pick out the guitar chords from Hawkwind's "You Know You're Only Dreaming"
amongst the humming synths and pulsating rhythm, but I'm sure that's my
imagination.

If you're bothering to read this section of AI, you'll know by now that this
is something you should really hear.  It doesn't take long to catch onto
what S\C does...when I caught their performance supporting Gong, I was a
huge fan just fifteen minutes into their set.  Before you read this, I will
have the good fortune of seeing them again with Bevis Frond.  One more
rising star in the ever-expanding krautrock renaissance - what about calling
it Neu!-wave?  Too silly?  Buy Speaker\Cranker on-line at:
www.bentcrayon.com, and hear their soundfiles at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mcjimmyd/index.html
I think the label now has their own site (?) at www.holophon.com.

And of course, the brand new www.speakercranker.com site, which I *still*
haven't checked out yet (since this morning).  :)

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  I think a second CD might already be in the works.

P.P.S.  I think they sell the first one here in Columbus (Used Kids) for $9
(new) (don't quote me on that!), so if anyone really wants to shave a buck
or two off an internet mail order, I can see what I can do for you.  Perhaps
$10.50 domestic?