Travelling at the speed of space

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri May 25 18:10:06 EDT 2001

On Fri, 25 May 2001 23:11:37 +0100, ANDREW GARIBALDI
<andygee at DIAL.PIPEX.COM> wrote:
>To all intents and purposes, the UK boot industry has been replaced by the
>fans' CD-R collecting, a far healthier state of affairs if yuo've got to
>have a black market at all,

I agree wholeheartedly!  This seems to be (mostly) the case in the states
(although, like I said, one can still find boots at certain stores and many
record swaps).  Exactly the reason for my "Home CD Recording is killing the
bootleg industry" quote.

>For those with a
>real thirst for knowledge of all things boot-y, there's just come out a
>CD-ROM with over 40,000 boot entries and info and track lists, etc, etc,

'Hot Wacks'?

And, by all means, check out Clinton Heylin's book 'Bootleg' that covers
the history of rock bootlegs (and a bit of pre-history - rock was HARDLY
the first genre to experience this "problem"), including the major players
(and their motivations), the ever-evolving legal issues, the "rotation" of
countries that were boot-"friendly" at various times, etc. etc.  A great
read chock-full of interesting facts ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com