Travelling at the speed of space

Fri May 25 18:11:37 EDT 2001

the whole thing about bootlegs as far as the UK goes,in terms of their
demise,really tracks back to the time when the authorities decided to be
really clever. In conjunction witht he MCPS, the police had pretty well got
hold of the street traders, primarily in London and Birmingham, but they
couldn;t muster the manpower to grab all the boot sellers at record
fairs,and besides, half the time no-one knew what was boot anyway. So they
went dead crafty and introduced a law, in exactly the same way as they have
done with drugs and clubs recently, making the record fair organiser
entirely responsible to face the consequences should any boot sellers be
found at their fair, not forgetting to clobber theboot sleer as well.
Virtually overnight, all the boot sellers got kicked off the fairs - no fair
organiser with any sense was going to take the chance - and suddenly what
was a prime chunk of the trade for these guys disappeared overnight. Not
only this but two of the main rings manufacturing them in the UK got busted,
and all of a sudden the UK was a no-go area for the sale of these little
commodoties (although it took a lot longer to reach the Scots that this was
the case, for some bizarre reason).
To all intents and purposes, the UK boot industry has been replaced by the
fans' CD-R collecting, a far healthier state of affairs if yuo've got to
have a black market at all, but as to the boot industry's demise, well, if
you read Ice magazine, then you might just think it's actualy alive and
well, but where it is, who knows (or cares come to that). For those with a
real thirst for knowledge of all things boot-y, there's just come out a
CD-ROM with over 40,000 boot entries and info and track lists, etc, etc,
altho' I've only seen the Prog-rock one so far (for my sins).
Entirely off topic but I hope a bit interesting for you.
Off to see the Ozrics tomorrow at Abderdeen.
Good night one and all,
Andy Garibaldi.