OFF: Magazine

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Sun May 27 10:45:04 EDT 2001

I've read  a lot about this band but AFAIK never heard anything by them.
They were a late 70s/early 80s group that included Howard Devoto and John
McGeoch, and supposedly were something pretty special, but of course the
mainstream music press cannot be trusted on such things...

Anyway the point of this post is that my local CD emporium has the triple
CD Magazine retrospective called "Maybe It's Right To Be Nervous Now"
going for just 10 quid, and this seems like a remarkable bargain to me, as
from what I've read I suspect I might really like this band, but OTOH a
triple CD box-set is a bit of a biggie for a speculative punt on a band you
haven't heard... so can anyone fill me in a bit on this band and their sound?
The kind of reference points I had were that they might be a sort of UK
equivalent of Pere Ubu or early Talking Heads.  If in fact they were a
power-pop outfit like the Buzzcocks can someone warn me please...
--
Nick Medford