ACTION MAN Hawkwind connection?

Thu May 31 13:29:25 EDT 2001

On Tue, 1 May 2001, K Henderson wrote:

> Roger Neville-Neil (aka Nostra-Rogus) you're talking about, eh?  Yeah, he
> wrote the lyrics for "Heads" ("In glass booths they're wired" really?  I
> never woulda guessed that that's what he was saying!).  And to connect up
> with the Farflung thread, he wrote the lyrics also to "The Raven Ate the
> Moon."  In fact, he was at Strange Daze '99 when Farflung played.  For those
> of you there that didn't know, he was the odd chap in the Secret Agent garb
> (trenchcoat and hat), which made me think that he wrote that one as well.
> (I'm not sure, but I don't think so.)  He's a really nice guy, as we shared
> a table at the Sunday night indoor show at the Symposium.  He lives in
> Portland, OR and walks great distances at times to see shows, as he doesn't
> own a car (or at least didn't back in '99).  (I know we had a thread about
> that awhile back also.)  He's the one that turned us at AI onto King Black
> Acid (from Portland also).  Roger is also a photography buff who I'm sure
> has a lot of tasty photos of many cool groups.  In fact, I think he shot
> some for SD'99 (check our review page).

        Keith, I think Roger is not entitled to any claim on `Secret
Agent'. The person who might be is Bob Calvert, whose `On The Case' from
the musical _The Kid from Silicon Gulch_ has some of the same phrases,
including the `tight spot' bit as a throwaway; but even there there's not
so much resemblance. However, the use of that song does suggest to me that
Dave had all the source he needed for those words already. Yours,
                                                                  Jon

P.S. that musical was supposed to be getting a revival some time last
year, wasn't it? I never heard anything about it, I assume it never
happened?
       Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)     jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk