what is going on?

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Nov 5 06:27:16 EST 2001

On 5 Nov 2001, at 2:58, Moonglum . wrote:

> Colm,
>
> Nik or some nominee of his has just registered the domain name
> hawkwind.co.uk, this is why going to that address shows you all this
> nik turner stuff.
>
> To me, this is the crux of the problem with Mr. Turner.  I agree that
> the way to respond to his release of substandard CD's is not to buy
> them.  But registering that domain name, playing as XHawkwind,
> claiming the moral high ground with protestations that
> "hawkwind/hawkestra is supposed to be about love and peace" - there's
> one big problem with all of this.  Nik is not Hawkwind, he's not in
> Hawkwind, he doesn't own the name Hawkwind, and somebody else is, is
> and does.
>
> Nik should be perfectly free to make money from his music, but this
> ought to be under his own name rather than masquerading as Hawkwind.
> ICU is not my cup of tea but plenty of people like that stuff, it was
> Nik's band, and I can't see any reason why he shouldn't sail under
> that perfectly respectable flag.

I've been following this saga with some interest, and don't really
have an opinion either way.  But what if, say, Sandy Pearlman
wanted to form another band and call it Blue Öyster Cult?  He did
name the band--much to the group's discomfort, and supposedly
'owns' the rights to it.  Who named Hawkwind?  Nik or Dave?

theo