HW: - Torquay - PS and Walthamstow

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Mon Nov 26 19:32:41 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Keith Barton <keithb at CINESITE.CO.UK>

> > Torquay - some stunning planet and galaxy images and the Elric pics
from
> > Live Chronicles.   Beautifully done.
>
> It wasn't just me though - credit must also be given to Neil Ward &
Marie
> Jenkinson who worked like demons to produce many of the images which
were
> then spat out of Neil's lovely digital projector.

Wow - yes of course I should have mentioned Neil & Marie and everyone
else in the Hawkwind backstage and frontstage crew who were all friendly
and talkative and working with amazing dedication and enthusiasm to
craft sound and images into a kind of atmosphere that surrounds the
music and forms a part of the whole effect so you are listening *and*
watching - totally absorbed in what is going on.    The best shows (IMO)
are when the music and the images come together seamlessly without being
blasted at you the whole time.     Though I must admit that it was a
shame about the lack of strobes during the more energetic tracks after
they blew a fuse!      Also, sadly I managed to miss the opening images
at Walthamstow.   Such stupidity!!!

Soundwise, I may be wrong, but I felt the engineer was strugging with
some difficult accoustics in that massively high hall - a splendid
building admittedly.    He did a great job though and Simon's violin was
just liquid music at times!    Praise also for Huw who played well
although struggling badly with 'flu.   I only wish I could have been
more polite when I was introduced afterwards - those rare opportunities
when you are introduced to someone you admire and can then think of
absolutely nothing to say...............

Thanks to Arin and Kris though for the backstage pass and the glass of
wine Kris gave me which gave me enough courage to talk awhile to Dave
about, of all things, archaeology!

In fact I enjoyed all the shows I've been to this tour- Torquay was the
best, Edinburgh and Newcastle next then Glasgow and London  - I wish I
could have gone to more!    Hi to all I met and I hope everyone got back
home safely - Germany, the rest of the UK, the US - wherever.    Our
group ended up with a totally insane taxi driver (at least I assume it
was a taxi - the car was completely unmarked and for all I know the guy
simply enjoyed driving groups of people from Walthamstow to London at
1.00am in the morning at insanely ridiculous speeds swooping in and out
of lanes as though he were an airplane rather than a car - "Ejection!"
came to mind often!)    I admit it was the first time I have ever been
grateful to gridlocked London traffic jams since this was the only thing
eventually that slowed him down to a sensible speed.

Ah well.   It was fun.
jill