[BOC] COTHM: re-WOW

Mon Oct 15 18:06:21 EDT 2001

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Ted Jackson wrote:

> On 8 Aug 2001, at 23:38, jean-charles moriaud wrote:
>
> > I went back to HF, that I had not listened to for more that a year
> > now: the difference is incredible and crual. I will probably leave HF
> > back into my rack, next to Imaginos and RBN, and never listen to it
> > anymore!
> >
> 2 that I don't listen to much either.  HF is just plain weak, albeit
> three are 2 great songs on it: SYiB and HM.  Imaginos is a great
> album, but it isn't a BÖC album.  In fact, apart from Al, BÖC is
> hardly on it at all.  So, illogically, in my anger with Columbia, I've
> sort of shunned that one...

        I have a more basic problem with _Imaginos_ which is that the
sound is terrible. It sounds like they were trying to get the band into
four fewer channels than were available on the mixing desk. Of course with
some numbers that may have been the case which may be why you can never
hear all the guitar orchestra. But it's like that with all of them. I
remember Al posting to the effect that on the vinyl version there was a
lot of compression applied so as to get it down to maximum vinyl size, but
that doesn't excuse the sound on the CD version unless they used the vinyl
master for it which would just be daft. But musically it is very fine
indeed,. with the possible exceptionm of the title track.

> > COTHM is superb, with only two weak tunes imho: I just like to be bad
> > and Here comes that feeling.
> >
> Gotta disagree about HCTF.  It is very much a pop song, but a truly
> great one.  I can understand why a true BÖC fan would dismiss it.
> Instead, I'd substitute OotD, which is tied with IJLtBB as worst song
> on CotHM...

        Oh I think IJLtBB is unquestionably far worse :-) I can find some
affection for OotD as long as I don't listen to any of the words (more
classic Shirley repetition there, I really should have re-used more
phrases in my style summary). And HCTF is quite a good little pop tune I
think. S'got nothing on `Stone of Love' though.

> > And by the way, applause for the bass. Danny Miranda did a very nice
> > job, where in HF you can hardly hear the bass.
> >
> Well, DM doesn't play on HF!  Hopefully, you'll get a chance to see
> DM live, then you'll really be impressed.  Looking at the tour dates,
> you may stand a better chance of seeing BÖC than I do in the near
> future.  I see BÖC is mainly playing those horrible festival shows,
> and hardly any bars these days.  Too bad for me, but at least the
> band will be making some serious money at those shows--they
> deserve it!

        Danny is on `Harvest Moon' isn't he? And he's all over the photos
but then he's kind of that way, isn't he? Only what with Eric being in
front all the time one doesn't notice... Yours,
                                                Jon

ObCD: Hawkwind - Mighty Hawkwind Classics 1980 - 1985_
--
           Jon Jarrett                     "Two men say they're Jesus,
          (01223 514989)                   One of 'em must be wrong..."