BOC: BOC in Blastitude

Fri Oct 26 13:55:56 EDT 2001

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 04:53:48PM +0000, Bolts of Ungodly Vision wrote:
> http://www.blastitude.com/9/pg3.htm

        It's an interesting article and a lot better expressed than much
music press stuff. I just wish the guy wasn't showing signs of being stuck
in the, um, early 80s, give him credit. I love T&M but I know it's not the
heaviest first side of an LP ever because you can get Kyuss's _Blues For
The Red Sun_ on LP at Amazon still, to name but one. Or indeed there's
Sabbath's _Sabotage_. I don't think T&M would be half as good if it was
havy (tm), it's the lithe swing of it that gives its power. He also gets
no points for not spotting the change of words between the versions of
`Career of Evil'. Or indeed reading what the difference is in the liner
notes (why _do_ so few music journos ever take this sneaky short-cut to
knowing about the band of whom they write? Is it thought to be cheating or
something?). But it's a good review and says the right words to make
people know why they're good. Which is I guess what's important. Did I
read too much about Anglo-Saxon names for prehistoric barrows today
maybe? Ah hang on, I feel sure there was coffee involved at some point
today, that must be it.

> from aug. sept. 2001...and clicking to look at the next page talks about Nik
> Turner (incidentally) and Bones of Elvis on the Radio.

        That article has a theory I can fully get behind. Except that it
could apply to stereos too, or anything to which you don't perform that
basic ritual of just stopping what you're doing and listening. It's
important to do that every now and then. Not everything should have to be
able to get your attention, some things deserve to have it before they
start. _Zeit_ by Tangerine Dream is one of these. You can only actually
hear it if you hear all of it, otherwise minutes of it flow past you.

        I do apologise for this ramble, I must have seriously low caffeine
tolerance today. Still, maybe it turned up in time to save Mike C. from
whatever is today ailing him? Yours,
                                     Jon

ObCD: Kyuss, _Blues for the Red Sun_
--
Jonathan Jarrett, part-time bookseller's assistant & medieval historian
Pembroke Cambridge   "I flatter myself that we are almost the only people