HW: Father and son

Sun Sep 9 13:09:00 EDT 2001

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Denis Regenbrecht wrote:

> >He is a good drummer, not the best but he is good one. His style is too
> >straightforward but it was ok for heavy metal 80's style.
> >There are a lot of much worse drummers, for example Ginger Baker who ruined
> >the album Levitation and live shows where he played.
>
> Ginger Baker a bad drummer? NACK!

        RST.

> And he didn't ruin Levitation IMO. His drumming fits very well in the whole
> style of the album.
> He isn't the best drummer for playing HW-music (Simon and Richard are the
> HW-drum-gods without a doubt), but I prefer his playing many times more
> than Danny's 'oomph-ta-oomph-ta-oomph-ta-ta'.
> BTW, I wonder what way HW would have gone, if Harvey had been fired and
> Jack Bruce brought in as his replacement, as mentioned in Kris' book.

        I'm mostly entirely in agreement with you; while there's music
going on round him Ginger Baker's a subtle complex and fiendishly quick
drummer and I think he fits in fine on _Levitation_; I wonder how Alice
hears the `album-that-should-have-been'? I always thought it a finished
work, I can't really hear anything in there trying to get out...

        But if Jack Bruce had joined too... I can see the solo spots
getting longer, the songs getting shorter... Unlike Mr Baker I rather
think Mr Bruce might have wanted a share of the writing and I somehow
doubt the Captain would have been too happy with the way he wanted to take
it; I think it would have been another `night of the long knives' as per
1976 in very short order! Interesting idea though. Could the two music
styles ever have coalesced, anyone think? Yours,
                                                 Jon

ObCD: HW - _The 1999 Party_
       Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)     jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk