OFF: Brit Slang!

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri Aug 9 07:31:44 EDT 2002

Doug Pearson writes:

> On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:10:05 -0700, John H. McCartney <scorch at TE-CATS.COM>
> wrote:
> >My suspicion is that the term "fag" in reference to cigarettes comes
> >from the word "faggot", which originally was in reference to a stick,
> >as in "a bundle of faggots". That usage dates back to the middle ages.
> >I figure that cigs are somewhat sticklike.....
>
> Entirely correct.  Specifically, it refers to a sticks bundled together for
> the purpose of burning (which, of course, is what you do to a cigarette) in
> a stove or fireplace.
>
> >As to how faggot got it's present connotation I've no idea.
>
> It's because of what was done to those people in particularly brutal,
> closed-minded societies.

Doubtful. The word fag is also used in Britain's public schools. Older
boys have younger boys who "fag" for them. This may have involved
fetching cigarettes at some point but I don't know. Given the reputation
of public schools for homosexuality, the leap from being the fag of an
elder boy isn't too hard to imagine.

Of course alt.usage.english may have a much better explanation.

FoFP