Dave and Nik in "We're mates again" shocker!!!

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Wed Aug 14 21:13:34 EDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 12:58:14AM +0100, Richard Lockwood wrote:
> > > Actually I can't think of a better conclusion to all of this than Dave
> > > and Nik making it up again and Nik re-appearing playing his amazing
> > > saxoscope with Dave's Hawks at gigs up and down this fair isle!
>

> Indeed.  Provided Dave could get him to stop when required...
>
> Imagine the scene - anyone who was at the Hawkestra at Brixton will know
> what I'm wittering on about...

> [Hilarious story clipped]

ROTFL!

> "Right ladies and gentlemen, we're going home.  We hope you've enjoyed the
> show, good night."
>
> "HONK HONK BWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAA BONES OF ELVIS BWWWWAAAA  HONK HONK
> ppphhreeeeeeeeeep."

It literally happened at SD'97.  After guesting with HW (he'd
already headlined the night before), he came back on afterwards
for a solo encore, with a broken leg yet.  He ended up playing
unplugged -- because the roadies gave up waiting, unplugged him,
and started tearing down around him.

After numerous HW classics, "This one's NOT a Hawkwind song..."
he said, and launched into "In the Mood" ICU-style.  By
"Masters", he was so out of breath he could barely play.

Looking back on it, the whole thing reminds me of the Labrador
retriever we had when I was a kid.  As long as you kept throwing
that stick out into the lake, she'd keep swimming out after it,
even when she was exhausted -- gasping and wheezing and coughing.
It never occurred to me at that age that she'd had enough but was
waiting for *me* to stop; I just figured, as long as she wants to
play, I'll keep throwing the stick for her.  Good thing I always
got bored before the poor dog had a heart attack, or collapsed
from sheer exhaustion out in the water.

> *click*
>
> "Dave?  Dave?  Who turned out the lights?"

Wouldn't happen.  He'd just keep playing on in the dark!

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
Anyone who swims with the current will reach the big music steamship;
whoever swims against the current will perhaps reach the source.
        - Paul Schneider-Esleben