HW: Mission Control Website

Chris chris at HAWKLORD.UKLINUX.NET
Tue Aug 27 19:31:40 EDT 2002

Hi ya,

If by 'his current band' you mean the band formally known as Hawkestra
or whatever, then I see them in October last year and I'm not old
enougth to have seen original Space Ritual but what I got there was as
close as I'll ever get.  Yea it seemed a bit unrehearsed but it was
magik.  3 bass guitars!  2 drummers!  A wall of sonic destruction I'll
never forget.  He sang and played OK - great.

I always have one problem with Nik, and in ICU it always seemed a
problem, maybe its just my ears tinitus etc.  He never seems to have his
mike or sax set to right level so unless you are close its hard to hear
him.

If you want to hear him play 'properly' go to his site and download the
excerpts from the All Stars cd.  Its not at all what I was expecting.
Its like proper intellectual jazz that is nothing at all like Hawkwing
or ICU or Sphinx.   I don't normally go for that sort of thing but he
does it very well.

But I think Niks idea of Hawkwind style playing is to do blanga,  chant
very hard to hear repetative lyric that mutates in your head and blast
weird improvised sax over equally repetative bass patterns with some
fiddly synth stuff floating in and out - well thats blanga in'it?

Chris