Official Post From Hawkwind

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Dec 11 23:22:25 EST 2002

In message <bc.30b12548.2b29585f at aol.com>, Bob Lennon
<Hawkwinder at AOL.COM> writes
>It's been happening for years because of the lack of quality audience tapes.

I have to admit I don't follow this argument at all. You're suggesting that
Dave Anderson wouldn't be releasing all those crap albums if the fans
were trading more live tapes? Isn't that a little fanciful?

There are two kinds of people who might buy "Yuri Gagarin" in the
shop: firstly, diehard kollektors who have to have everything, and
secondly, casual fans who fancy checking out some HW and don't realise
they're buying a lemon. Both of these people will still buy it no matter
how much tape trading goes on- the kollektor 'cos they have to have it,
and the casual fan 'cos they won't know any better and probably won't be
hooked up to taping trees anyway.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the band's decision- certainly I am
curious as to the reasons behind it. I remain optimistic that there is a
good reason. But I don't buy this idea that a thriving taping network
would in any way limit the activities of D. Anderson and co.

>wouldn't it be better if all the poor slobs that were "just introduced" to
>Hawkwind over the years actually found good recordings in the shops. Almost
>everywhere I go, just about the only Hawkwind cd's I see are the re-packaged
>crap we're always complaining about. At least around here. Very few official
>releases are ever seen by many on the lists

All of which seems to argue *for* them trying to limit unofficial
releases, which is surely what this is about?

confused
--
Nick Medford