Official Post From Hawkwind.

Michael Blackman michael_1968 at OZEMAIL.COM.AU
Wed Dec 11 23:57:41 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Montfort <mikemont at NYCAP.RR.COM>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: Official Post From Hawkwind.

> Michael
>
> Honestly no I don't think that there is a very good reason.

Hi Mike,

> Dave has shown a recent tendency to lash out at anyone he perceives to be
> infringing on his trademark.

He has worked hard for many years to make Hawkwind a great great band.  The
band has performed at free festivals - benefits given free concerts tons of
beautiful music.  It was Dave Brocks original vision for this band and he
may do as he pleases.  The way I see it he has done an admirable job.  If
someone misuses their trademark he has every right to see to it that it
sorted out.
I do believe that Daves first approach to these problems is actually
contacting the people involved and then when nothing is done has no choice
but to take further action.

> He has always considered audience recordings evil.

Well I have never heard this confirmed by any source that would be credible
enough to make me believe it.  Definatly people who make money from these
recordings are evil in the sense that they rob artists of royalties - and
artists do make money from royalties.

> Now he has made it policy.

and he has every right to do so.  If people still want to record the night
from the audience Im sure some will try.  Some will get caught out and
prevented from doing so.  If someone is really serious about doing a good
quality recording from a gig they ought to get written permission from the
band and either have or hire good equipment that can be set up with the
mixing desk so the recording represents the  best sound possible.  If  A&R
people are hearing some of the poorer quality audience recordings I am sure
it would be off putting to them as (I am sure you can imagine) alot of those
people have no idea about live music and recording etc.  They hear a bad
recording and all they hear is a bad band.  Of course there are some very
enlightened A&R types around so if there are any in this group and you know
who you are I hope you dont feel picked on by what I just said.

> I seriously don't expect some big announcement that all these shows will
be
> now released or any such rot.

No, I never said that.  I am actually refering to shows from possible
upcoming gigs in the future.  I have a feeling that the sales of the
Canturbury gig as well as the recent Yule Ritual & the live 1990 double cd
may have some bearing on the size and scale of future Hawkwind concerts and
albums.
Is this is the case I think holding off on recording (audience)  Hawkwind
shows
is a small price to pay.
Like I said - Hawkwind have given more of themselves than any band I can
think of.  They are not asking much from us.

> Hawkwind management has shown time and time again an inability to get its
> act together.. I don't expect this to change.

They seem to do a grand job of organising quality concerts from the majority
of the feedback I have read.  I also believe that they dont have a huge
number of people in the organisinational department and considering this
they still come thru for the fans.  Even tho I have noticed some complaints.
Perhaps more volunteers for the cause?

> Do I sound bitter? You bet!
> I own every release in at least one media version like so many of you.
> For Dave to say I can't see him live in the US because of past problems
> with Immigration, and then say I can't hear a recording of a show I could
> never afford to see.. well that is just petty.  I will never go to the UK
> to see Hawkwind.  I have a family and a home with children in it.
Visiting
> the UK for a concert would be extreme to say the least.

Can't fault Dave or the band on the Nazi - like politics of the American
immigration and government officials who obviously would rather not have the
bands "influence" on the minds of the american people.
There are plenty of really good live recordings available for those who dont
live in the UK.
Space Ritual - Love In Space - Live 1990 - Live Chronicles - etc theres
material from all the eras - You can see the band on the Love in space vid -
and live legends and Night of the Hawks & Chronicle of the Blacks sword -
I can truthfully say that if the money is available and you can manage it,
it is worth every cent to go to the UK for even a short holiday - see the
sites - see Hawkwind - have some fun.  But I realise not everyone can do
this.

> So all you lucky brits enjoy your band.

I'm canadian born - living in Australia but I also have a British passport
thanks to my Dad being a brit :)

> Sorry it is the way I feel.

You dont have to apologise.  Your feelings are just as valid as anyone
elses.

Cheers
Michael B