OFF: intolerance and boots (was Re: Official Post...)

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Dec 12 19:33:33 EST 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:53:21 EST, Bob Lennon <Hawkwinder at AOL.COM> wrote:
>In a message dated 12/12/2002 5:13:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>lindas1 at ADELPHIA.NET writes:
>
>> Next thing, noone will be allowed to do reefer at the gigs.
>
>Could be the zeitgeist, at some recent John Cale gigs, who is also a
>notorious anti-taper, you aren't allowed to smoke (even cigarettes) or
>drink (and this was in a pub)!
>bob

Well, John Cale (much as I love his music of the 60s and 70s) is one of
those hypocritical f!kkers who used to do every drug under the sun, and
then, when he cleaned up his act, became an intolerant @sshole with regards
to anyone else's consumption.  I've heard stories of incredibly rude
behavior to fans (who obviously didn't know better), such as the Japanese
girl who presented him with a very expensive bottle of Sake ... oops!

And, ironically, in the case of John Cale, there are audience recordings
that, as I understand, put his official live releases ('Sabotage' - a
complete set of otherwise-unreleased songs from the late 70s,
and 'Fragments of a Rainy Season') to shame.

But hey, at least he gave Jeff Hunt permission to put out the Dream
Syndicate stuff (which Lamonte Young still claims is a bootleg, proving
that whether something is a boot or not is *entirely* in the eye of the
beholder), so I shouldn't complain about him too much.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com