OFF: intolerance and boots (was Re: Official Post...)

Bob Lennon Hawkwinder at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 12 20:00:44 EST 2002

Well Doug,
Can't lasso me into an argument on that one as I agree about 98% with you.
John has a particularly distorted view on taping shows and doesn't realize
that copyright laws protect the owner of the tape of the show, not the music,
but would be liable for lawsuit if he were to use the material. The taper of
course being the sound engineer and producer of sorts. (of course that's a
little silly notion also)
As in the case of one band having to pay up for the unauthorized stage photo
being used by the band.
This will blow over in time, as us spoiled fans get unused to doing whatever
we please. Remember: You can't do this, and you can't do that....and most
importantly you shouldn't do that!
I know there's bands out there that release material without some performers
on the release ever seeing a penny of the take, is this so much different
from fans passing around tapes of shows? Talk about performers making a
living.
bob