Browsers are a big pile of ****.

Chris Gibbs chris at HAWKLORD.UKLINUX.NET
Fri Feb 8 16:51:59 EST 2002

Hi ya,

> As a "Not A Fan Of Microsoft's Evil Business Practices", it pains me to say
> it, but IE6 (on a PC anyway) is a fantastic, reliable, working browser.  The
> sooner people stop using anything else, the sooner the world will be a far
> friendlier place.  (I've been working down at Sony for the last week, having
> to rebuild an intranet from scratch, as it didn't work with any other
> browser than IE6 on PC.  All the code SHOULD have worked - but it didn't.
> For example, did you know that NS 4.x (and I think 6) doesn't support HEIGHT
> in a stylesheet?).  You get to loathe browsers after about, ooh, five
> seconds.)

For some of us on i386 pc's IE is not an option.  If you use linux there
is no IE that will run (well maybe if you use wine?).  So we are stuck
with Netscape as a "do it all" browser.  That is if you need exotic
plugins you need Netscape.

Netscape 4.n is fine!!!
Netscape 6.n is too big too slow too bloated to run on my box,  its as
bad as Mozilla!
I don't see any need for a better {do it all} browser than Netscape.

The day everyone uses IE will be a very black one.  At the moment there
are MANY good browsers and Microsoft is forced to use STANDARDS.
Standards that the rest of us have access to.  The second Microsoft have
a monopoly is the second they change from public standards to private
corporate standards.   When they adopt corporate standards the rest of
us don't stand a chance!!!

What do you mean by Netscape does not support HEIGHT in stylesheets?
HEIGHT is an attribute of a tag, not itself tag.
If its that Composer is destroying your html don't use Composer!
Composer is OK for people that don't know html, but its f^&* all use to
anyone that does because it will remove what it does not understand, and
it don't understand much.

If it is that you have a problem setting a tags HEIGHT attribute in a
style sheet you need to check the style sheet DTD's.   For example I use
something like:

P { font-size: 14pt; line-height: 15pt; text-indent: 1.00cm;
text-align:justify
}

To define a paragraph in a style sheet (this one gives full
justification, the first line is indented, like in a book).  The awkward
thing is that attributes in .css don't seem to use the same names they
use in .html.   Read stylesheet DTD at world wide web consortium www3c.
As far as I can tell Netscape supports it all.

Or maybe you mean the H1, H2... tags?   Use something like:

H1 { border: solid brown; background: burlywood; color: brown;
text-align: cent
er
}

H2 { border: solid burlywood; background: oldlace; text-align: left }

N.B.   If you want a FAST browser on Microsoft get w3c from the world
wide web consortium (free).  To get it to work keep your eyes open on
the web site because you need some libraries from elsewhere to make it
work....   The hassle will be well worth it!

Chris