OFF: Spacemen3

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Feb 8 20:44:02 EST 2002

In message <200202090021.TAA21507 at mail5.uts.ohio-state.edu>, K
Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU> writes
>Well, I was just confirming with you all the facts on these matters wrt
>Spaceman and the Sonic Boom.  Are these ratings supported by others here?
>Playing with Fire is the one they recommend to newbies.
>
>Grakkl (FAA), a W3.11 user (at least it's a Pentium) :)
>
>>From www.allmusicguide.com
>
>***     1986  Sound of Confusion

You've heard this one. I like it. Especially "Losing Touch With My
Mind". But it's the rawest by quite a long way.

>****1/2 1987  Perfect Prescription

This is the one. Definitely their best IMHO. Much greater range of
sounds, more crafted but without losing that narcotic glow. Very
appropriate that it contains a re-write of Lou Reed's "Street Hassle".

>****    1988  Performance

>****1/2 1989  Playing with Fire

Another good one but a bit too reliant on drifty keyboards and acoustic
guitar noodling. Does contain the mighty "Suicide", their tribute to the
band of the same name. They used to close their live sets with this,
leaving the stage one by one, Sonic last after he'd taped down a few keys
on the synth so that howling electronic storms would continue to lash
around the hall long after they left the stage. It was very cool.

>****1/2 1990  Dreamweapon: An Evening of Contemporary... [live]

...Sitar Music". Lengthy (40 minute) single track, an acoustic jam
recorded live at Watermans Arts Centre. Not interesting enough to justify
its length. CD contains a couple of extra unreleased tracks that aren't
particularly special.

>****    1990  Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To

This I think was a comp which collects together some early EPs etc.
There's the full 30 minute version of "Rollercoaster" but the track that
really makes this worth having is their cover of the MC5's cover of Sun
Ra's "Starship" (if you follow me).

>****    1991  Recurring

Not great. Not really a Spacemen 3 album either, as Messrs Boom and
Pierce weren't speaking to each other by this stage, so this is basically
two solo half-albums stitched together, and proves that the band were
more than the sum of their parts.

>***     1995  Performance: Live at the Melkweg 6/2/88

Haven't heard this.

>***     1995  Live in Europe 1989

Or this. They were great live though.

In summary, if you want to hear one more before making your judgement,
I would unhesitatingly recommend "The Perfect Prescription".
--
Nick Medford