OFF: 2001's Top 100

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon Jan 7 16:37:15 EST 2002

>On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 05:35:01PM -0500, K Henderson wrote:
>
>> Anyway, the one I got (of course) was Tool - Lateralus, which finished 47 in
>> the final tally.  Seems so weird that this one album made such a big hit all
>> by itself.  I guess it must be that it somehow received great
>> behind-the-scenes promotion.  But why would the label have even tried with
>> this band, given the complete lack of any other similar type of music
>> selling anything in the general pop market these days?
>
>Maybe you don't realize just how popular and successful Tool are.

No, I do realize that they're hugely popular - they played at Ohio State's
enormous basketball arena which seats somewhere around 18,000.  I just don't
understand WHY?  I mean, obviously (the majority of) their fans are those
who normally listen to FM radio 'alternative' (i.e., shit), and so Tool is
the only 'progressive' band they even know.  And furthermore, these 'fans'
have absolutely no interest in seeking out other similar-style bands.  Why?
'Cause then there would be sixteen other copycat bands popular as hell also!
That's usually the way the system works in American pop culture (hence 56
movies made that try to do what that 'There's Something About Mary'
did...and the whole Seattle grundge thing started by one album).  So why
hasn't it happened with Tool-style progressive? I'm baffled.

I dunno, maybe it's just happening *really* slowly or something.  My brother
did play a song for me by a band called System of a Down that I thought was
alright.  Are they similar or anything?

>Staind
>Mudshovel
>Disturbed
>Creed
>Weezer
>Collective Soul
>International Noise Conspiracy
>White Stripes
>Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
>The Strokes

I don't know *any* of these bands.  Except a (terrible) Collective Soul song
or two from about six years ago.  Creed is a name I see alot and perhaps
I've heard them, but I haven't put the name to music just yet.  Over
Christams, my brother was saying something about Train - I guess they're
huge or something, but I had no clue what he was talking about.

I'm getting old...
Grakkl (FAA)