HW: St Albans, June 2, 1989 Mystery Track

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Wed Jan 9 17:59:18 EST 2002

>>That would be Treadmill I guess, they played that in a sequence
>>with Down Through The Night and Time Left at most gigs that year.
>>You can find it on the Palace Springs album.
>
>Thanks for all the replies. *slaps forehead in disgust* I checked
>virtually EVERYTHING except Palace Springs as I was looking for a studio
>version and was convinced it was a Dave Brock solo track. Anyway, just
>shows how well I know the GWR albums.

Actually, you were sort of correct. The 'Dave Brock and the Agents of Chaos'
LP (out in '88) has a sequence that is a sort of proto-Treadmill (same
lyrics) though the music will be somewhat altered for the full-band live
performance. On the LP, a visual inspection of the grooves shows 4 tracks,
though the track listing has 5 - the Treadmill bit is the second part of the
2nd (visual) track. I always considered this to be titled 'In the Office',
the 3rd song on the printed tracklist, but the CD reissue tracks it as part
of 'A Day', track 2 in the printed list. The CD seems to have been done
slightly inaccurately though (it doesn't even have the last few tracks from
the LP, as it was a two-fer with Earthed to the Ground). At some point I'll
have to write up a side-by-side comparision and solicit opinions about the
actual song breakdown on this record.

Stephan