HW: Hawkwind's Lemmy, Nik and...

Zlak Sak motoringmojo at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 28 04:55:31 EST 2002

Zlak spake...

Was it the US that 'busted' him?  I was always thinking it was the
Canadians,

>From what I recall, it appears that during the SPACE RITUALS tour, as
Hawkwind was leaving British Columbia, that Lemmy was detained by the
United States authorities.

Lemmy means speed freak.  Interesting I just thought it was a name.  I know
Motorhead is slang for speed freak as is a Lost Johnny, and now Lemmy you
say.  Hmmm... it would appear, a large part of Lemmy's youthful fire is
inspired by this type of high.

Lemmy, as of six months ago, was/is only allowed to be in the United States
for six months each year.  He splits his time between the States and
England.  He is still denied a Green Card, and can't become an American
citizen if he would feel so inclined.  Yet, if the facts in my mind are
right, he pays a large tax to the United States government each time he
tours.

With regards to the Hawkwind, all star show in Oct. 2000, there is an
insightful article at Aural-Innovations, with Lemmy.  In short with
regards, to the Oct. 2000 show, Lemmy vows never to perform with Brock
again, unless he changes, his control freak ways.
Thoughts I've heard uttered by Moorcock.

But what does that have
to do with Hawkwind, past present or future?  Nothing.  I wouldn't buy it.
And of course, Nik lives in Wales (I think), and Lemmy in LA.

I don't know what this has to do with Hawkwind, besides having former
Hawkwind members who like each other, like: Turner, House, Dik Mik, Lemmy,
and Moorcock (don't forget he took bass duties over for Calvert when he was
committed for a time and wrote most of the music for WARRIORS ON THE EDGE
OF TIME, which Brock conveniently forgot) and unleash some new classics,
without the albatross of Hawkwind to poison things.  Brock's hissy fit, for
Nik's use of the word Hawkwind, on Nik Turner's Hawkwind, 1993 Space Ritual
tour, is just so pathetic.  Hawkwind was named after Nik's big noise, and
farts after all.

Basically, it appears now and then that certain former Hawkwind members
like Lemmy express something that might be seen as an urge to travel the
stars, but Brock gets in the way.  If, this might be true, then maybe the
reason it doesn't happen, is a failure to think outside of the box.  A
reunion of types, doesn't have to be done within the framework of the
Hawkwind legacy.  I am just curious as to why it doesn't happen, or maybe I
already answered this question a few lines earlier?  Or perhaps, no one
really desires to, or the desire is more one of wishful thinking.  I love
to ask Nik, and see what he has to say.

It seems from this fan, certain reunions of old friends, be it the Black
Sabbath album in process, Iggy Pop's notion on a new Stogies project,
Plants and Pages recent projects, are in some ways the product of mature
inviduals, attempting to reexamine the fruits of the past, and to taste
them a fresh, before its too late.  Would it seem so odd, for some of
Hawkwind's older ex-members, to want to experience something they enjoyed
when they were younger again.  Much like Roger's wish to record a new Who
album.

And, what does it matter where anyone lives, its not like they have to
join a commune, to write a few new songs together.

It seems a foregone conclusion that this ain't gonna happen.  Well, they
were all on stage together in October, 2000...but there wasn't any
qualification that they needed to like each other.  And I didn't care
personally, as long as they continued playing.  :)

Nik at this time was attempting to hold together, some of the band, but it
frayed for reasons unknown to me.

Blessings - Zlak