TOTALLY OFF: Who died...

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Mar 22 11:03:16 EST 2002

Doug offered...

>Of course, the fact is that most scientific/mathematical geniuses are at
best >socially clueless & inept, and more often thorough raging assholes
(and that >amphetamine abuse among mathematicians seems to be nearly as
prevalent as among >bikers, bar owners, mechanics, truckers, and metal/punk
rock musicians). (And as for >the "picking up young men" thing, don't forget
that the mathematician who won World >War II for the Allies by breaking the
Nazi's Enigma code, and laid the theoretical >groundwork for modern computer
algorithms as we know them, was also gay.)

And committed suicide because (IIRC) of his shame about being dismissed by
his own gov't from active duty and forced to take medication to try to
'correct' his condition.  (I think that's right.)  Not that our own gov't
didn't do such similar things, but you'd think since his superiors were
about the only people who knew that Turing was greatly responsible for
winning the war, that they'd give the poor guy a break!

Grakkl (FAA), who doesn't really know anything about Bono's motivations or
his level of knowledge and understanding of certain injustices around the
world and who's also not particularly up-to-speed with all the doings in the
popular entertainment or political realms, but still has the urge to hum
John Lodge's "I'm Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band" when he does show
up on my TV or computer screen.