UK travel tips?

Gerald Whitworth gerald.whitworth at PARTHUS.COM
Thu May 2 11:16:35 EDT 2002

I can identify with your concern.

Being a Brit, the US roads used to scare me to death.  It wasn't just
driving on the wrong side of the road, there were other aspects, like being
able to turn right at a red light.  Pedestrian walkways were also a problem,
when the green man was indicating walk it would also be green for traffic.
In the UK when its green for pedestrians its red for traffic.  The first
time I drove in the states (in Los Angeles) I was waiting to turn right at a
junction.  There was traffic crossing in all directions and the guy behind
was honking the horn to get me to hurry up.  So after carefully looking
left, right, and straight over, and making sure there was no other cars
around, I set off and turned right.  Just as some people stepped of the
sidewalk right into my part.  How I didn't take them out I'll never know.

So in the UK we have our revenge.  Hire a car at Heathrow airport.  Its the
best way to get around the UK.  Remember to drive on the left.  Remember
most UK cars are not automatics (use the clutch and gear lever).  And the
first obstacle you will come to is a roundabout.  As most Americans are not
familiar with this road concept it can be quite daunting and a challenge.
Basically, put your right foot to the floor, close your eyes, and hope for
the best.  If your religious, praying is also an option worth considering.
Oh and another tip.  Don't turn left until the light changes from red to
green.

Hope this helps,

Gerald