OFF: Lots of touring...Heavy man...

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu May 9 15:51:39 EDT 2002

Doug P's...

>>MOTORHEAD (w/ Today is the Day - awful, and Speedealer - better)
>
>Ha!  I remember when Today Is The Day were just another post-grunge band on
>Amphetamine Reptile (haven't heard them since then).

Well, now they're an obnoxious angry death metal crew.

>I believe that Speedealer are a local band (I've never seen 'em) ... if so,
they >were originally named "REO Speedealer" until they were threatened with a
>lawsuit ...

By the (soon to be defunct) R.E. Oldsmobile (aka GM)?  Or the
Champaign-Urbana Five?

And I'd heard of them, as REO S., thought it was strange to have another
band with almost the same name.

>>Lemmy was playing a new Rickenbacker I'd never seen before...
>>is this the new signature model?
>>It was kinda wine-colored, not like the plain wood shade
>>he always seemed to play before.  Sounded the same anyway...
>
>I'm sure it would be (he was defintely playing it at the Brixton 25th
>anniversary show, too):

OK, I lied then (as I was there), but I was stuck in the balcony then, so I
have that excuse.  :)

>http://www.pdfworld.co.jp/tyson/4004.htm
>http://www.rickenbacker.com/us/4004lk.htm
>http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/home_ric.htm (about halfway down)

I guess I wasn't paying too much attention....I suppose that's it, but
didn't realize it was carved like that.  To me it seemed shiny, smooth deep
red/burgundy, but maybe that was just the lights playing tricks on me.  And
I never did get that close to the stage to get a good look.

>And, yes, as I've promised, I'll post photos of mine if/when it ever
>arrives ...

How did you get to be one of only 60 to get one?  Was it first-come,
first-served, or was there a lottery?  Or are they *really* steep?!  And
then, how could you afford it?  :)

>>---------------------------------------------------------
>>PRIMORDIAL UNDERMIND
>>(cool guitar-psych rock band now with Tom Carter from Mike Gunn)
>
>The other band in this tour is the Davis Redford Triad, psychedelic rock of
>a somewhat more experimental variety than the 'Undermind, led by Faust
>guitarist Steven Wray Lobdell.

What label are these guys on?  Are they Portland-based, as Lodbell is (I
think)? Lotta good music up there it seems.

Grakkl (FAA), who can't verify for Dan whether Lemmy said anything about the
quality of the Columbus crowd, 'cause I couldn't understand anything he (or
Wizzo) said the entire set.  'Cept "This one is called Metropolis..." as if
I were listening to "No Sleep..." right then.