OFF: Big event in Houston

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri May 10 13:33:35 EDT 2002

Hey Folks...

I don't know that we have anybody here down in that part of the country
(Houston TX) but if anyone wants to plan a fun 'psychedelic trip' for this
summer, given that a pilgrimage to Ohio (for Strange Daze, RIP?) seems
unlikely this year, perhaps this would make a nice replacement?

Isn't there also another plan for a PT (Terrastock) weekend up in the
northeast? I remember there was one, was it Providence?, like 4 years
ago....I thought I remember reading they were going to do another up there.
Last year's was in Seattle IIRC.  If anyone knows, could you post details?

Grakkl (FAA)

PTOLEMAIC TERRASCOPE PRESENTS... - Friday, July 26 and Saturday, July 27 @
Rudyards -- two nights featuring the best of this state's psychedelic music
scene, all in tribute to the wonderful British music magazine Ptolemaic
Terrascope.  The Terrascope has been called "the bible of psychedelic music"
and has spawned a much (deservedly) hyped semi-annual music festival
(Terrastock) as well as a planet of loyal fanatics (The Terrastock Nation).
Editors Phil McMullen and Nick Saloman (of The Bevis Frond), while
definitely rooted in the music of the sixties (man), have a decidedly
non-stodgy defintion of the term "psychedelic," so it's not unusual to read
features praising the virtues of bands like Moby Grape and Nurse With Wound
in the same issue.  Since its inception, the Terrascope has given heavy
coverage to bands from Texas, in particular bands who call Houston home.
Since this type of music has received little to no coverage in the local
music press, at least a few Houstonians first heard of local bands like The
Mike Gunn, Charalambides, and The Dunlavy in the pages of the Terrascope.

In an effort to "give a little something back", local labels Worship Guitars
and Fleece Records, along with Eric Arn of Austin's Primordial Undermind,
have set up a series of shows in Houston and Austin (the following weekend)
to showcase some great Texas psych bands with all proceeds going to
Ptolemaic Terrascope.  These shows have the full blessing of the magazine.
Confirmed to play the Houston dates are ST-37 (Austin), Crevice (San
Antonio), Winslow (Denton), Primordial Undermind (Austin), Linus Pauling
Quartet (Houston), The Mirrors (Houston), the first ever live show by The
Dunlavy (Houston...ex-The Mike Gunn members Scott Grimm and John Cramer),
and a very special reunion show by The Golden Dawn, whose 1968 album "Power
Plant" on the revered International Artists label remains a classic of Texas
psych.  There will also be films by Shaun Kelly and Atton Paul plus the
requisite merch booths.