HW: tribute bands info wanted

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon May 13 12:47:07 EDT 2002

Hi

>I am seeking information on Hawkwind tribute bands.  I already know about
>Silver Machine, Brighawk, the Cosmic Brotherhood of Ra, The Time Brothers
>and Roadhawks.  This is for a page on my website, which is already up with
>details on those bands (http://www.starfarer/tribbands.html).  I would be
>happy to hear any new details on the bands I have already covered or about
>any other HW tribute bands.

Of course there was the Cleveland-area band called "Sun Machine" that was
more-or-less active in the period from about 1996-98.  These were among Jim
Lascko's first attempts at putting together space rock events with light
shows and such.  Most gigs were at the Phantasy Night Club (or the Symposium
next door) in western suburban Cleveland.  The lineup was fluid and
unpredictable.  Here are some of the names...

Dann Diefer - vocals, acoustic guitar
Mark (?) Marianetti - vocals, poetry
Steve Taylor - guitar (mainly?), sometimes bass (?)
Steve Hayes (?) - keyboards (this is a guess...I'm not sure he was really
with them, but seems logical to assume he was)
??? - bass (I can't remember who played bass for them)
Thom Marianetti - drums (like Steve Taylor, a Nick Riff band alum)
Jim Lascko - lightshow
Scott Kuti - lights, occasionally vocals, Spaceman suit
Doug Walker - synthesizer, flute/sax - One-time special guest

There were tapes of their debut performance at the Phantasy floating around
boc-l before they were known as Sun Machine.  The tapes usually credited
them as the "Angels of Death" band.  I don't know who was responsible for
that moniker.

They were pretty good as you might imagine, given that the two Steves are
now part of Star Nation, and Steve Taylor played bass on their NZ/Oz tour a
few years ago.

Grakkl (FAA)