HW: Aerosmith?!?

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon May 13 20:17:45 EDT 2002

While visiting some friends with a huge collection of rock-star-bios in
their library this weekend, I was thumbing through Aerosmith's
autobiography (90% quotes from band, managers, wives, crew, etc.), and it
mentions that very early in their career, they opened for Hawkwind for five
dates in (I think) late '73 or early '74 (damn! I can't even remember which
bandmember the quote came from ... maybe even their then-tour manager or
agent).  The book seems to imply that this was in the south (Richmond,
Virginia?), which is odd, since I'm not aware of HW ever having played
south of the Mason-Dixon line (except Baltimore/DC and southern CA ...
oops!  I stand corrected: the March/April '74 US tour included at least
Atlanta 29 March & Nashville 3 April, and since there are no gigs listed
between those dates, it's likely that there were some other southern US
gigs in there ... the closest dates on the next tour, Sept/Oct '74, are
Memphis 16 Oct & Oklahoma City 20 Oct ... neither one remotely close to
Richmond, and the only gap in that tour seems to be after the Hammond,
Indiana show 21 sept., which is [IIRC] the one after which their equipment
was impounded over back taxes, delaying the tour for 3 weeks).  It
definitely said five dates, though.  And any later than '74, Hawkwind
probably would have been opening for Aerosmith.

(An archive search turned up a question from Dan Ductor after he'd seen HW
mentioned on the Aerosmith website, and verification from Larry Boyd that
the timing was definitely correct, but no firm answers.)

Anyone wanna look through old newspapers from spring '74 in the Richmond
public library? ;^)

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com