OFF: Turner & Yorn (was NIK: Appearance at WC2002?)

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu May 30 22:04:28 EDT 2002

On Thu, 30 May 2002 20:17:02 -0400, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>
wrote:
>P.S.  Now who the hell is Mick Turner, a name I occasionally see in the CD
>racks?

An *INCREDIBLE* guitarist from Australia who used to be in the Fungus
Brains, then Venom P. Stinger, then the highly-successful Dirty Three
(w/Jim White, VPS's drummer).  All 3 Dirty Three members (the other is
violinist/frontman Warren Ellis - possibly my favorite non-crossdressing
rock violinist) also play in Nick Cave's Bad Seeds, and were on their
recent tour.  He also gave me a broken footswitch from an old Marshall that
I repaired and now use (at a gig last saturday, even) to turn one of my fx
units on/off with.

>P.P.S.  Somebody named Pete Yorn is playing at the Newport tonight.
>Thought they ran out of Z's for the marquee, but then I saw it was
>sold out, and knew Pete Zorn couldn't really be that popular.  Who
>the f*** is Pete *Yorn*?

I'm pretty sure he's a neo-/alterna-folkie/singersongwriter type, sort of
like Jeff Buckley or Elliot Smith ... (now YOU tell me who Pete Zorn is ...
the only Zorn I know of is saxophonist/bandleader John)

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com