OFF: motorcycle irene

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Sep 2 14:37:14 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:47:15 +0200, Ketil Svendsen
<ketil.svendsen at FISKAREN.NHST.NO> wrote:
>She did a lot of photography for motörhead in the early days. possibly
>the first single cover, the st. valetine's day massacre etc (have to
>check - if anybody's interested!)...

I notice that the the back of the first (Chiswick) LP includes the credit:
"Photos Lemmy/Motorcycle Irene".

>i think she was the girlfriend of one of them, phil taylor, from what
>i recall....(?)
>
>> I've just heard a song which I think is by Moby Grape, called, or at
>> least about, Motorcycle Irene.

One of their songs penned by mad genius Skip Spence (whose brilliant solo
album, 'Oar' is the spaciest thing you'll ever hear sung by a Johnny Cash
soundalike).  Robert Plant's new solo album (which I like A LOT) has an
excellent cover of another Skip Spence / Moby Grape song ("Seeing"
aka "Skip's Song").

I have no idea whether or not this is the same Motorcycle Irene, however
(or if Motorhead's friend got her name from the Moby Grape song ...
certainly a possibility ...).

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com