NIK: new album

Chris W desdinova at MADASAFISH.COM
Tue Sep 10 10:30:37 EDT 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:06:43 +0400, Alisa <coral at APORT.RU> wrote:

>How can a bunch of jams be called "new material"?

Quite easily if you subscribe to the "Spontaneous Composition" ideal.
Granted that in the rock world these musical adventures only rarely lead
anywhere truly novel, but as somebody who has over the years spent a long
time in the purely improvised soundworlds of the likes of AMM, Evan Parker,
Derek Bailey I have been witness to (& have CDs of) some of the most
magnificent and magical music of the last 40 years.  Sometimes these guys
fall on their arses when things don't quite work, but when they take off,
they really fly!  However, if all you want is "New Material", it'll reduce
your CD acquisition costs immensely.  Let's see, we'll scrap about 80% of
the Dead's catalogue, any guesses what proportion of Hawkdiscs you could
forget???  Do we ignore cover versions.
I admit, I'm being ridiculous here, but it's to make the point that this
sort of argument is philosophical hair-splitting to rival the debate about
angels & pinheads! (Now there's a great name for an album or band - maybe I
should copyright it, along with "Xangels & pinheads", "angels & pinheads X"
and "angels & Xpinheads" just to be safe...)
ChrisW
See you on the other side