HW: Sonic Attack

Mark Von Bargen mark.von-bargen at O2.CO.UK
Thu Sep 12 17:58:34 EDT 2002

This is quite possibly inaccurate as it is based on my memory of more than
20 years ago but here goes anyway...
An interesting aside to the Sonic Attack album was that it got Hawkwind
featured in a very short lived UK magazine called FLEXIPOP (so called as it
featured a cover mounted flexi-disk - Calvert would have liked that idea).
The particular feature saw members of two bands reviewing each others
albums. Interestingly, HW were coupled with Bow Wow Wow who had a couple of
hit singles around about that time.  I think that the real reason was that
both groups had new albums released on RCA at the time - a neat marketing
trick by the record company.
The reviews were quite funny as Mr Brock quite politely gave Bow Wow Wow's
effort a less than favourable comparison to the Pink Fairies. Mr Bow Wow Wow
rep was equally polite about Sonic Attack saying that he liked the drumming
but the music wasn't really his style.
Anyway, not long after that issue flexipop disappeared (in smoke?!).

Mark