OFF: Grand Funk (was: BOC DVD track listing)

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Sep 17 16:22:50 EDT 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:17:08 -0400, Brian Halligan
<blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM> wrote:
>Nick English wrote:
>
>> For a while there, I think they [Grand Funk] were A LOT more popular
>> than BOC.

For a while, they were probably the most popular rock band in the USA.  I
could never figure out why (I grew up some time after this period had
passed), until a couple years ago, my friend was playing one of the early
GFR albums in his living room, and his friend passed me a not-very-pleasant
tasting joint.  The verdict: GFR sound *awesome* on PCP, which is about the
only nice thing I can say about either the band OR the substance (I was a
*mess* when I left his house).  And both were hugely popular in the early
70's (at least in the USA).

>For me, I found BOC and many other '70s bands through a winding road that
>started with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. After "discovering" so many
>bands who were as good or better, and who were just as popular at the time,
>I've always been interested in why Band X is a household name today while
>Band Y is mostly forgotten.

And, of course, in the early 1970's, GFR were *much* bigger than Black
Sabbath (and even bigger than Zep).  Times change ...

>obCD> anything by Pearl Jam...whatever happened to them?

They were foolish enough to challenge the ticketmaster/clear channel
concert venue/radio station monopoly, and are paying the price.  Or
something like that, I was always more of a Green River / Mudhoney fan,
anyway ... (and speaking of Jesus freaks, I once played one of Stryper's
guitars that was owned by a crazed speedfreak I bought a bass amp from)

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com