HW: Mission Control Website

Tue Sep 17 20:14:04 EDT 2002

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Alisa wrote:

> When you all, Nik's raging fans, stop this nonsence? I think everyone is
> tired to get messages about it. why you don't make a list for yourself where
> you will discuss it with each other?

        There's enough of these lists around now that you could find one
where no-one criticised the band *ever* if you wanted, I'm sure. I'm no
Nik partisan, I don't know who is; if I pick a side it's that the music's
on.

> Nik's can't play, can't copmpose anymore. He can't bring to rehearsals his
> own band. This is truth and fact.

        Well. Nik *can* play, I've heard him do it relatively
recently. Unfortunately he doesn't always do so. Can't compose, I've
suspected for a long time, and indeed if Weclome to the Future were still
up you'd see on there an interview with Nik where I asked if he'd written
any new songs lately so as to try and get an answer, but he answered, "I
write new songs all the time" which is no kind of answer at all.

        Rehearsals, is a good call I imagine. We were supposed to be
seeing new ICU early this year, but the Dingwalls gig fell through and
within minutes, it seemed, Nik was off doing something else, and Trev had
revived Bajina as Inner City Hawks without telling the rest of ICU (or at
least, Steve). On the other hand Nik's Space Ritual seem to have got it
together. I guess they've finally had enough gigs to serve as
rehearsals... And look, product! Now, we know Hawkwind can rehearse
because there's often a good portion of the band handy on IRC, though
never all of it at once whatever it currently is. But we see no signs of
new releases at *all*. Court cases all silent.

        I mean, I know Hawkwind is the better band, you don't have to tell
me this, but there was a time when they were the more professional
too. That's what bothers me. I guess I go to both Xmas shows and see who
kicks arse and who doesn't. And who slags the other off from the stage,
that's always good for a laugh. Yours,
                                        Jon

--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)