HW: Mission Control Website

Tue Sep 17 20:23:01 EDT 2002

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Alisa wrote:

> Ok, I see. But we all have different tastes. I remember that site very well
> and I can say it was good but not more. And it wasn't properly updated for a
> long time anyway. Rik's site has something special. I like it more. It's
> just a matter of taste.

        It wasn't properly updated for a long time between 1997 and 2000
or so because it was still in Doug Smith's care waiting for something to
happen to it. Andy happened to it and it started being updated then, with
any information Andy got from anyone official. Of course now the band's
idea of what's official could differ from Andy's because the site belonged
to their *ex*-manager, but you couldn't say Andy wasn't a fan.

> As I said before Andy could move his own site to another server. And it was
> really bad that he advertised gigs of Hawkwind enemy - Nik Turner. I noticed
> it before all this scandal and was very disappointed in that site. If it was
> just a site about space rock it would be ok. But it was Hawkwind site at
> Hawkwind.com at the moment. And Nik's advertising there was like a kick to
> real Hawkwind.

        Not sure Andy could do that, because the content wasn't his, it
was Doug's, in terms of ownership. Lots of clippings Doug supplied and so
on. It had been the official site, while Doug was still the manager. Its
status after that was a bit unclear; I guess it was the official site
until the band claimed otherwise. Dave's page was linked to from Andy's
long before Rik got near either...

        Andy also advertised Huw's gigs, before Huw was back in the
line-up, Bedouin's gigs and a bunch of other stuff. Anything
Hawkwind-related he could manage. I find it difficult to believe that even
you think a Nik gig *actually billed as a Nik gig* could really damage
Hawkwind in any way. How, for heaven's sake? And this Nik as "Hawkwind's
enemy" thing sounds like a bad cartoon. Probably by Michael
Butterworth. Nik thinks he's in the right, that's the problem...

> just my point of view,

        Not one I can agree with much of I'm afraid. Of course this stuff
is just my point of view but with a slightly longer-term
perspective. Yours,
                    Jon

--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)