HW: More Mr Beardy chortles...

Steve Youles youless at LVCM.COM
Tue Sep 17 23:29:20 EDT 2002

I'm no expert on MQB having heard only some MP3's and seem them twice
(Hastings & HawkFest)...but I'd say the hypothesis could be termed
factually incorrect in that I hear almost as much of an early Pink Floyd
influence in their music as I do Hawkwind.  Third rate they may be, or not,
depending on one's own taste - they certainly seem to be competent
musicians.  I like the drums + bass + keyboards + two lead guitarists line-
up - that's always struck me as the optimal configuration for a rock band.
And the 2 guitar players have different enough sounds and styles (clean
Strat with delay, plus a fuzzy humbucker superstrat?) that there's a
textural depth happening as a result.

But hey, I wouldn't even knock a ropey third rate Hawkwind copy band.  In
fact, I'd like to be in one... IMHO the worst space rock is better than the
most technically accomplished Top 40 drivel.

Steve