BOC: Long Day's Night

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Sep 26 11:20:18 EDT 2002

On 26 Sep 2002, at 10:36, Chuck Saden wrote:

> Brian,
> I bought two copies of this on Tuesday.  Having gone to the show, it
> was fun flashing back.  On the picture on the back of the CD, you can
> see me and Che standing all the way to the left.  Wow, a profile shot!

So, how much did you have to pay the band?

> Buck is absolutely spectacular on this CD.  This Long Day's Night
> Snapshot is a Pulitzer Prize Winner. Not that anything is the new
> Definitive Version or Definitive Solo.  It's just that it drives home
> the point how lucky we are to witness the variation and inventiveness
> from night to night.

BD is not the kind of player who does a rote performance of an
existing version.  And he was like that 25 years ago.  Never plays a
song the same way twice...

 There's lot to sink your teeth into on this CD.
> Eric is already getting slagged on the vocals.  To be honest, the
> night of the show, I thought he sounded a lot better than how it came
> out on the CD.

Considering the problems he was having, oh, 5-6 years ago, he
sounds great these days...

 Having seen an hour of the HDTV show, it sounds better
> on film and is totally enjoyable. Wasn't it Sandy Pearlman, though,
> who said "I'm the only one who can make Eric Bloom sound like Eric
> Bloom?" :-)

Funny you should mention this.  I was just thinking about BD's
prowess as a producer, and wondering what effect it would have had
on the group if he had handled production on some of the earlier
stuff.  Not the first 3, as SP's genius on them is ubiquitous.  But,
say RBN, or CN...

theo