HW: Family Tree

nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 12 18:42:53 EDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:38:03 +0100, =?iso-8859-1?q?Alan=20Linsley?=
<alankerren at YAHOO.CO.UK> wrote:

>Includes a stunning version of Motorway City that is worth the price
>alone IMHO, although I'm not so keen on the rest of it...
>
>AL

That's curious, a number of people have raved here about that track, and I
can't really see what the fuss is about, although it's never been a
favourite of mine anyway. The Live '79 version is still the one I'd take
above all others.

As for the rest of Family Tree, the Chadwick track is excellent, The
Paradogs stuff is not bad, and the Dave Brock and Ron Tree tracks are pure
filler. The Brock stuff is bland ambient techno that goes absolutely
nowhere, and Ron's efforts are just random padding. The best (!) of the Ron
tracks is Tripping Shipping, which is just a straight recording of the
radio shipping forecast with a few electronic yowls and blarts added.

I had hoped for something along the lines of the old F+R albums, but there
were always a few gems tucked away on those, while there's only one track
of any real note here. It's not an even remotely essential purchase IMHO.
Although the actual CD has a very attractive design on it, FWIW.

Nick