++++ HW: Covers All Final Call/ Studio album

Hawkperson boclist at HWIND.GLOBALNET.CO.UK
Wed Apr 16 19:13:34 EDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:24:50 +0100, Jon Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Colin J Allen wrote:
>
>> I think that this particular line of discussion should probably end here.

Moorcock.

> [...]
on
>> the album and, all being well, back on stage soon.  I do not think that
>> anything on the scale of Hawkwestra will happen but there may well be a
few
>> surprises.
>
>        So are you saying that there was no suit and that Nik and Chris
>Hewitt were making the whole thing up? If you aren't, what are you saying?

>> >         That last will definitely be down to Colin but I don't think
>> > we can criticise him if he's unable to cut into the big distributors'
>> > networks. If the band wanted that they shouldn't have fired Doug
>> > Smith; whatever else it got them in tems of artistic freedom, it cost
>> > them that.
>> >
>> >         I believe, and would love to be corrected, that the new album
>> > which was recently said to be finished, is going to be what's left of
>> > the Death Generator concept album from 1998, but since _Spacebrock_ and
>> > _Family Tree_ emerged in that time I don't suppose much material
>> > existed until quite recently. I await its final emergence, once
artwork,
>> > mastering, mixing, pressing and finally distribution have finally been
>> > sorted out, with very little idea of what to expect because everything
>> > that we've seen other than `Strange Fruit' rather relied in Ron on
>> > vocals... Whatever it is it will be unexpected.
>>
>> Unexpected and good:).
>
>        Normally I'd preface something like this with a phrase along the
>lines of `I hope you'll forgive me for saying' or some such, but actually
>I won't pretend to care. `This album' has been in the works for five
>years, in the course of which at least one other notionally `new' Hawkwind
>album (_Spacebrock_) has come out thus using up a precious third of the,
>what, six at most new tracks we've seen the band play in that time. In
>*five years*.
>
>        Furthermore, in that time we've seen, um, at least five people with
>previous writing credits leave the band (though none of them were on the
>last studio album billed as Hawkwind anyway), and Moorcock at least once
>publicly disavow any further involvement with Hawkwind. This bloody album
>could hardly get more unexpected. *If* it finally emerges, which I no
>longer believe anyone saying, I'm sure some people will think it's good,
>but one of the people Brock pays to lie to the fanbase about this is
>not going to be the person whose opinion I trust on this. You can safely
>let me make up my own mind thanks. Yours,
>                                          Jon
>
>ObCD: Black Label Society - _Sonic Brew_
>--
>"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
>law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient
>to the words of the divine mystery brought unto me and a worshipper of the
>delights of this military age." Marquis Borrell of Barcelona, 955 A.D.
>
>             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)

Wow Jon,

Why do you seem to dislike us so much?
If you are a fan why are you pulling us to pieces, we work so hard and try
to consider everyones feelings and points of view......maybe you should
stop and give a little thought to ours.

The band have been working really hard on this album, whether you believe
it or not. You try being creative in the face of adversity. Its far easier
to critcise.

Why do you say that we fired Douglas? We did not, he is currently enjoying
retirement at his villa in Spain. Yes things change, its sad but it is
life.

I just don't understand why you feel the need to attack us, you either like
what we are doing and buy our records or you do not.

Why on earth would Dave pay anyone to praise his music? That is such a
discourteous thing to say that it verges on rudeness.

Also do you think that you know something about the legal proceedings that
we do not? All I can say is try walking a mile in the other man's shoes and
perhaps you will gain a grater understanding of the other man's feelings.

I feel so sad that I have to write a message like this when there are so
many more positive things I could be putting my energy into......but hey
maybe that's the problem?

The new album is sounding great by the way.

Kris
(waiting to be attacked by Jon, but feeling that she had to say something)