++++ HW: Covers All Final Call/ Studio album

Andrew Garibaldi Deadearnest at BTOPENWORLD.COM
Wed Apr 16 19:19:11 EDT 2003

One thing occurs to me - this argument would not be happening prior to the
arrival of the internet. Patience,then, was, indeed a virtue.
I think we have all been led to expect practically daily bulletins from
every musician saying what they'd just had for breakfast and what they
intend to do today, etc etc. It's not the public's fault - it's the
perception that people are led to expect ever more and more regular
information, however inconsequential.
To me what Dave and Nik and anyone do in terms of lawsuits etc, is their
business - if they choose to let us know then that's fine but we have no
right to EXPECT them to.
Musically, you can point to tons of bands who have kept the fans waiting far
longer for albums - look at Kate Bush (sic) -
at least Hawkfans have had SOME worthwhile albums, not forgetting all the
great albums by bands not associated with Hawkwind directly.
I think Jon has some valid points in terms of his opinions, but for me the
flaw is what we are all led to expect because of the existence of the
internet - Ok, so you can;t go back and not invent the wheel, but it's that
old argument of "using" a public forum when it suits the artist that leads
to this greater need, expectation and demand for every nook and crannie of
the musicians lives to come out - that maybe at hte heart of all this.
No gripes against Jon or Colin - far from it - just another ten
pennorth in the pot.
Andy G.