HW: Sabbaticals

Thu Apr 17 11:36:03 EDT 2003

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Alan Linsley wrote:

>  --- Steve Bayley <steve.bayley at HERTSCC.GOV.UK> wrote:
> > I have no idea what albums I have missed (other than
> > more compilations) or what the line-ups have been.
>
> Let's have a go at the line-ups then (& bear in mind
> I'm only attempting this so others can correct me):

        Oh ho, I like this game.

> 1990: Brock/House/Bainbridge/Davey/Chadwick/Bridgett
> Wishart, until Simon left in the Spring but was
> temporarily replaced by a barking dog at Glastonbury
> 90.
>
> March 91: Steve Bemand/Bainbridge/Davey/Chadwick/
> Wishart
> ...alllegedly coz Brock had had enough!
>
> May 91 unitl end of 1994 : Brock/Davey/Chadwick with
> guest appearances from others inc.
> Tim Blake May 91 US tour (not sure though)
> Bridgett Aug 91 Mildenhall fest
> Ron Tree May 92 1 gig on the Tepee tour

        Ooh, had missed those. Thanks.

> 2 DJs called Salt Tank Aug 92 at Brixton
> Samantha Fox 1993 on Gimme Shelter single
> Simon House April 94 tour

        Likewise that last one.

> April 1995 - Summer 1996: Brock/Davey/Chadwick/Ron
> Tree
> Jerry Richards put in a couple of guest appearances
> July 95 but didn't stay, and I read somewhere that
> Crum did a few gigs on the Oct/Nov 95 Alien tour - if
> so, not at the gigs I saw.
>
> Athens Nov 96 - Brock/Davey/Chadwick/Tree/Richards
>
> ....then Alan left! Noooooooooooooooooo......
>
> 1997 - Brock/Davey/Chadwick/Tree(now on bass) with -
> Jun 97 - Huw guests at Blackheath
> Aug 97 - Nik guests on US gigs inc Strange Daze?
> Autumn 97 tour - Capt Rizz guests, and Crum guests
> after 1st couple of gigs, and halfway through the tour
> Harvey starts doing support slots.
>
> 1998 - bugger all
>
> 1999 - was this the year Brock & Tree were denied
> access to US?  So Rizz, Jerry & Richard did the gig
> with Steve Taylor & others from ALien Planetscapes.

        Naw, that was 1998. There was only nothing in the UK. I also have
it down as Steve Hayes, amd maybe I have that wrong. I also have Crum down
as there and that *is* wrong, isn't it. I'll delete that.

> 5 date tour Nov 1999 -
> Brock/House/Chadwick/Tree/Richards
> with Harvey joining at 2nd gig
> Keith Kniveton on synths at 4th gig
> Nik guests for the last time with "normal" HW at 5th
> gig.

        Also Rizz 1st and, um, 5th gig it must be. Was Harvey not at the
3rd? Also, I show Dumpy as guesting at the 4th gig and Nik there
too. Grateful for correction on this if it's not so.

        There was that "Whirlwind" gig in December too, Chadwick,
Richards, Tree, Wishart, Taylor. I really did think Brock was going to let
the young things carry in without him after that.

> Feb/Mar 2000 Australian tour -
> Brock/House/Bainbridge/Chadwick/Richards/Steve Taylor
> on bass (coz the Aussies wouldn't let Ron in)

        Coz Ron still didn't have a passport after Strange Daze, I
understood it. But who's counting.

        I show a line-up in between this tour and Hawkestra, after the Nik
Turner's Reunion Band gig with Huw and before Lemmy turned up on that Doro
Pesch single, it being Chadwick-Richards-Tree-Brock-House-Davey and guest
appearance by Dumpy. Dumpy being there means it must be a gig I meant. No
idea what though. It would be Alan's return to the fold anyway.

> Hawkestra Oct 2000 (deep breath)
> Brock/Bainbridge/House/Chadwick/Tree/Richards
> Davey (yeaaay!)/Thompson/Kniveton/
> Blake/Turner/Langton/Crimble/
> Ollis/DikMik/Dettmar/Lemmy/Swindells/Powell/Slattery/
> Griffin...and Samantha bloody Fox again

        Also Paul Hayles, allegedly, somewhere.

> ...oh i've had enough - anyone else like to take over
> from here?

        Okay. I have the advantage of having it written down, but I don't
have dates on it, just an order.

Astoria December 2000, the _Yule Ritual_ gig: Chadwick-Richards-Tree-
Brock-Bainbridge-House-Kniveton-Lloyd Langton-Davey-Rizz-Huggett

Same line-up again early 2001

Canterbury 2001: Chadwick-Brock-House-Kniveton-Lloyd Langton-Davey and
Arthur Brown, someone in the crowd told me they'd heard from Keith
Kniveton that Messrs Tree and Richards had been expected but not turned
up, and that was the last we saw of them...

Gig or gigs shortly following have Jez Huggett and Tim Blake instead of
Arthur Brown (is this the eclipse festival?)

Nik takes over the Hawkestra moniker and this time gets Richards-Tree-
Turner-Slattery-Griffin-Swindells-Ollis-Crimble-Dettmar-Anderson-Shaw and
Jon Moss, the night of the four bassists

Hawkwind now down to a core five-piece, Chadwick-Brock-House-Lloyd
Langton-Davey but tour that winter adds Kniveton at two gigs and Huggett
at one of them and Christmas Party adds Danny Thompson, Tim Blake and
Captain Rizz, night where it became obvious that Brock-Blake-Chadwick
should immediately start releasing techno records

Mid-2002 Chadwick-Brock-House-Lloyd Langton-Davey-Thompson-Blake, and at
one gig Rizz, Kniveton and Huggett as guests

Wembley 2002 Chadwick-Brock-Lloyd Langton-Davey-Blake with guests on some
numbers by Arthur Brown and on `Silver Machine' by Lemmy

Winter 2002 Chadwick-Brock-Lloyd Langton-Davey-Blake-Brown, as you see
them now as far as we know.

2003 no data yet. In fact nothing Hawk-related at all except Tim Blake's
new album.

        While I have this file open, I have this mass of stuff allegedly
forthcoming, which maybe people can tell me has now emerged or been
cancelled:

Jon Oliva, Bob Balch, Lemmy & Greg Bissonette (... Kilmister... ): Nothing
Else Matters [_Metal Attack_, a Metallica trubute album]

Lemmy, Vivian Campbell & Eric Singer (Kilmister... ): Shout it Out
Loud [? No idea what this was, another tribute I think]

DanMingo (Swindells, Richards... ): ? (was posted to the list about last
year some time but never heard anything more)

Luther Grosvenor (... Lloyd Langton): ?

Probot (... Kilmister): Shake Your Blood [_?_, Dave Grohl's metal project,
as far as I know yet to emerge, we could hardly have missed it given the
man's stranglehold on the music media could we?]

Psychedelic Warlords (Hawkwind): Volume 2 [this was being announced as
forthcoming when _Family Tree_ came out, I assume it's now a dead duck]

Dark Sun: _?_ [new album with guest appearance by Nik]
Little Wing: _?_ [any kind of album]
Space Ritual.net: _?_ [last hawkethos mail I got claimed that, well, it
said this of the line-up of Space Ritual.net that played Uxbridge on
Saturday: "this band plays a lot of new space rock ,they are currently
recording a new album of space rock at a studio in wales which will be
finished towards the end of the year and they recently shot a dvd of
one of their concerts which will be out sometime next year" and elsewhere
says that Del has been putting synth on it, which suggests some basic
tracks are down. Studio in Wales must be Foel, so I assume this will be on
Demi Monde or similar. Race!]

        Yours,
                Jon

ObCD: Wool - _Box Set_ (Pete Stahl, the vocalist, was in a band with Scott
Reeder of Unida and Kyuss, Chris Goss of Masters of Reality has guested
with Kyuss and indeed Queens of the Stone Age, one Masters of Reality
album has Ginger Baker on it, Ginger Baker gets you to Hawkwind, no I did
not know this when I bought it, it's just really good OK)
--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)