Arthur Brown

Mon Apr 21 19:05:39 EDT 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Doug Pearson wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 17:07:33 +0100, Jon Jarrett
> <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
> >On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Doug Pearson wrote:
> >> During much of the 1980s, Arthur was living in Texas (hmmmm ... like
> >> Michael Moorcock does), and members of Austin spacerock band ST37 did
> >> some work with him.
> >
> >        Anyway, back on topic: is that right, Doug? Which recordings are
> >they on? Cause you know, that would be *interesting*...
>
> I don't think there are any recordings.  I'd have to check with Scott (he's
> on the Yahoo! Hawkwind list), and the connection may be no more than Dave
> Cameron playing drums for him (as he did for Roky Erickson) ... I'm not
> sure ...

        No information. My limited discography has the 1983 Texas line-up
as Scott Morgan on synth, Sterling Smith on mellotron and one D. Aldridge
on percussion plus Mr Brown. Which must have been an interesting line-up
but doesn't contain any ST37 people that I can see. But this reference
doesn't mention _Black and Brown_ so what's it worth, and the 1983 line-up
presumably wasn't the 1993 one, and so on. There's an Elevators-Hawkwind
link in here if we play it right though :-)

> And did anyone mention Arthur doing narration for the Pretty Things'
> (including, of course, first-Hawkwind-album-producer Dick Taylor) 30th
> anniversary performance of 'S.F. Sorrow' (also featuring David Gilmour)?

        I don't think so but I have got the album. Brown is very good,
Gilmour is quite fun, Dick Taylor is a bit disappointing and the others
are all pretty solid. I never heard the original album but this one's
quite fun. Its official title is _Resurrection_. Some of it's not very
psych (not that they're supposed to be) but the way they get from `Baron
Saturday' to `Well of Mystery' is pretty darn brain-twisting given how
few effects they're using... Yours,
                                    Jon

ObCD: Captain Beyond - _Captain Beyond_
--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)