HW: Classic Rock news Item

Si Halley si at SICKTHINGSUK.CO.UK
Thu Apr 24 06:13:40 EDT 2003

>From the new issue (May 2003) of Classic Rock. There`s a small new pic as
well of Dave, Alan, Richard and Arthur.

STUDIO REPORT
HAWKWIND
HAWKWIND HAVE ALMOST COMPLETED A new album at the home studio of their
guitarist Dave Brock. Though currently selfrecorded, it's highly possible
that the band may bring in outside ears to oversee their first record for
new label SPV Records. The as yet untitled album is loosely based on a
thesis written by Richard Morley, who has also contributed some lyrics.
"It's to do with computer technology sucking our souls, and mobile phones
giving us brain damage," Brock explains. "Once upon a time, just one in 30
people had a build-up of cancer within their body, now it's
one in seven. Even the amount of lead on the road from the exhaust of cars
is causing damage - it gets trodden into houses and impregnates the body.
"It's a whole cycle of destruction, involving population overload and the
importing of potentially contaminated vegetables from the Third World."
Guests on the record include 70s new waver Lene Lovich, who plays an
android, and Arthur Brown, who narrates a section about late Hawkwind poet
Bob Calvert.
"That was Arthur's suggestion," Brock says. "But we've also got Tim Blake on
there, possibly a few others. Musically there's an awful lot going on
Besides all the heavy rock and spacey stuff there's a full-on dance track
and lots of electronic parts. The biggest problem is making sure they flow
into one another. We've recorded 15 tracks, but there's some weeding out to
do."
Among the tracks up for inclusion are 'The Reality Of Poverty', 'Population
Overload', 'Techno Land', 'The Molecular Family', 'Asylum Island' and 'One
World Future'. The album isn't likely to be released until late September.
In the meantime, Hawkwind have lined up the following shows: Cambridge
junction May 18, London Astoria 25, Bristol Academy 26, Birmingham Academy
27 They are also finalising arrangements for the second annual Hawkfest, to
take place between August 8-1o For details go to www.hawkwind.com

The Alice Cooper Trivia File: www.sickthingsuk.co.uk
UK Unofficial Alice Cooper Convention: www.sickcon.co.uk