BOC: Yesterday's gig

Pell Emanuelsson pell at LYSATOR.LIU.SE
Sun Dec 14 23:20:27 EST 2003

Hi gang,

This is my first post to boc-l since 1991. I think I was the fourth member
when the list started, but have been somewhat inactive "lately."

Yesterday (Saturday) I went to the BOC concert in Tuttlingen.  I was quite
excited as my previous BOC encounter was in 1992 in Portland (OR).
When I reflect on yesterday it's therefore natural to compare my
impressions of these two occasions and how things change.

It started off badly as I erroneously thought the boys would headline, so
after the warm-up band I didn't fight for a position in the first row.
Well, seems like the Heep is more known in Germany for whatever reason,
so BOC came up next.  That would also mean that they wouldn't play very
long; I was dismayed.
Anyway, I was perhaps in the fourth "row" so can't complain.  Except for
the fact that the front row seemed to be filled with people who weren't
into the band - must be frustrating to play to a front row of blank faces.

Here's the setlist as I remember it (probably not quite the correct
order):

Buck's Boogie
OD'd
Burning
Stilts
Quicklime Girl
See you in black
Black Blade
Cities on Flame
Buck guitar solo
Godzilla (w/ Bass & Drum solo)
Reaper
--
D&S

They seem to be changing the set list for every show; from my point of
view this was perhaps the weakest set.  Like, Black Blade is perhaps an
interesting song and I hadn't heard it live before, but when you haven't
played Germany for years, is this a good choice?  Considering the many
truly great songs that were left out?  Same goes for Buck's Boogie.

Also bothering were the prolonged bass and drum solos - in this space
would easily fit 2-3 more songs.  I realize precious little of BOC's
material provides a good context for showing off your slap bass skills -
as an exception Shooting Shark comes to mind - but I still would prefer
hearing good bass and drum work in the context of the songs considering
the available time.

And why are they playing CoF so excruciatingly slow?  This seems to be a
trend they started a few years ago.

Frequently it looked as if the guys weren't into it anymore.
Interestingly, the new songs (Stilts, See you..) were played with more
energy and the band was at its tightest.  Perhaps not so surprising,
after all.  The sound in the venue was average.  Buck's rhythm work came
over clear, but the soloing was lost in the mix somewhere.
Highlights for me were Quicklime Girl and D&S.  The Reaper was also
excellent; I think I heard a bit more cowbell than usual. :-)  And, no,
Eric wasn't responsible.

The set was over much too quickly - naturally it wasn't their decision -
and my ringing ears and sore throat prove that I enjoyed myself.

However, looking back to that concert in 1992 it is obvious that the band
has gotten older.  Of course, who hasn't?  But the sad truth is that I
can't see BOC going for another ten years.  I'd also wish that they'd be
on tour forever - sharing their wonderful music - but the sad realization
is that it's not going to happen.  I can only hope that they stay
healthy and keep on touring for as long as they deem meaningful.  Maybe
we'll get a few good years out of them yet.

Pell
Lysator Computer Society  |       email: pell at lysator.liu.se
Linkoping University      | WWW home at: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~pell/
Sweden                    |    Life was easier when I didn't have one.