HW: Canterbury Fayre 2001 audio quality

Captain Cloud capcloud at HAWKLORD.COM
Sat Feb 8 15:11:31 EST 2003

Has anyone picked up the 'Canterbury Fayre 2001' just out from Voiceprint?
I happened to notice that the credits list 6 folks, but left out Huw.  This
is even funnier when you realize that Huw is given songwriting credits twice
on the same page, Huw is obviously the guitar player when you listen (plus
some vocals), and Huw's name is even mentioned first when Dave lists the
band members at the encore!  :-)

The show itself is a good one, and I'm glad they released it.  Although
there were two tricky spots on it where the audio quality distracted me.

At one spot at 1:33min into Levitation, there is a sound (something from the
drum?) appearing repeatedly, which sounds just like a click on a bad CD.  It
happens again at 2:03min.  However, I *think* that is what the live show
actually sounded like, instead of this just being a bad CD.  Still, an
unexpected sound that slightly confused me.

The other spot is much worse.  Right around 9:01mins into Levitation, at the
finale shout of "LEVITATION!", there is a series of crackles and then a
burst of static.  This sounds like the recording was overloaded when the
engineer brought up the volume, but I'm just guessing here.

Other than these spots, overall this is an excellent recording of a pretty
good show.  Definitely worth acquiring...with the audio caveats mentioned
already.

Part of this email is my goal to discover if my CD is in any way unique
(meaning I should return it for replacement), or whether this is just the
nature of the recording (meaning live with it, or complain to Voiceprint).
So if anyone can confirm the above audio comments, please speak up.

Cheers!

Captain Cloud
capcloud at hawklord.com

<...sneaking back into lurk mode...>