HW: List of studio albums

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Jul 14 19:41:54 EDT 2003

A couple more ...

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:26:15 -0400, Steve Youles <youless at COX.NET> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:30:58 +0100, John Rennie <hawkfan at RATSAUCE.CO.UK>
>wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a definitive list of Hawkwind studio albums?
>>My list so far is:
>>
>>1970 Hawkwind
>>1971 In Search of Space
>>1972 Doremi Fasol Latido
>>1973 Space Ritual
What's this one ('Space Ritual') doing on a list of studio albums? ;^)

>>1974 Hall of the Mountain Grill
>>1975 Warrior on the Edge of Time
>>1976 Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music
>>1977 Quark, Strangeness and Charm
>>1978 25 Years On
>>1979 PXR5
>>1980 Levitation
>1981 Sonic Attack
>1982 Choose Your Masques
>>1982 Church of Hawkwind
>1983 Zones
(Is "Running Through The Back Brain" the only studio track?)

>1985 Chronicle of the Black Sword
>1987 Out & Intake
>>1988 Xenon Codex

1989 Palace Springs (2 studio tracks, "Treadmill" & "Back in the Box"?)

>>1990 Space Bandits
>>1992 Electric Tepee
>>1993 It is the Business of the Future to be Dangerous

1994 Psychedelic Warriors/White Zone
(includes Brock/Davey/Chadwick, so it should count IMO)

>>1995 Alien 4
>>1997 Distant Horizons
>1998 Hawkwind In Your Area
>2000 SpaceBrock
I'm not sure if I'd count SpaceBrock, since Jerry Richards & Richard
Chadwick aren't on it.  At least Huw and Martin are on a track or two
of 'Church of Hawkwind'.

2002 Hawkwind Family Tree
(includes one new studio track with Brock/Davey/Chadwick)

Also, the vinyl version of 'The Business Trip', the Griffin '25 Years'
box, and the 'Ambient Anarchists' compilation each includes one new (at
the time), but fairly inconsequential, studio track.

>>Also if anyone wants to attempt a rating, e.g. 1 to 5, for these albums
>>I'd be interested to hear peoples views.

This is entirely subjective, but I'll express my personal views.  Keep in
mind that rating a Hawkwind album as "1" on a list of Hawkwind albums
would still probably be a rating of "5" on a list of every album I've ever
heard ... (but it wouldn't be fair to list ratings for Hawkwind albums
without using a value of "1" for my least-favorites, although I see I
could still only come up with a couple 1's or 2's).

4 1970 Hawkwind
5 1971 In Search of Space
5 1972 Doremi Fasol Latido
5 1974 Hall of the Mountain Grill
5 1975 Warrior on the Edge of Time
4 1976 Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music
5 1977 Quark, Strangeness and Charm
4 1978 25 Years On
4 1979 PXR5
3 1980 Levitation
3 1981 Sonic Attack
2 1982 Church of Hawkwind
3 1982 Choose Your Masques
1 1983 Zones
3 1985 Chronicle of the Black Sword
1 1987 Out & Intake
2 1988 Xenon Codex
4 1989 Palace Springs
3 1990 Space Bandits
3 1992 Electric Tepee
1 1993 It is the Business of the Future to be Dangerous
- 1994 Psychedelic Warriors/White Zone (don't own)
4 1995 Alien 4
4 1997 Distant Horizons
3 1998 Hawkwind In Your Area
1 2002 Hawkwind Family Tree

I'm sure that others will have different views ...

    -Doug (just back from Germany ... )
     jasret at mindspring.com