HW: Calvert Reissues - Bonus Tracks

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Jul 21 20:51:16 EDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:59:15 -0500, cosmicdolphin
<cosmicdolphin at FIREFLYUK.NET> wrote:
>Now I feel like a Voiceprint Advert

Nothing wrong with that, if they're going to put out all the reissues that
Amazon is announcing ... !

>Looks like Voiceprint Finally Announced the Bonus Tracks for the Calvert
>Reissues, and the release date 4th August
>
>http://www.voiceprint.co.uk/catalogue.php/Release/929/

I'm particularly intrigued by the fact that this reissue ('Hype') includes
a couple songs with alternate lyrics, including "Over My Head", which is
one of my all-time favorite Calvert lyrics.  I especially like the way
that, on many of his songs ("Quark, Strangeness and Charm" being another
prime example), he seamlessly combines carnal/sexual themes with
intellectual/scientific ones (topped off, of course, with puns about Gal-i-
le-o and intellectu-elles).  With most people, the two are mutually
exclusive; not so with Bob ... (about the only other band I can think of
that successfully combined the two were Devo, but it's sort of obvious
with them, since any discussion of [de-]evolution necessarily involves
reproduction, and any discussion of reproduction in higher organisms
necessarily involves sex).  His next two albums ('Freq', 'Test-Tube
Conceived') would continue to expound on the double-sided theme of
humanity-vs.-science / humanity-AND-science, but not in the same playful &
whimsical manner (well, it's hard to be lighthearted when talking about
striking miners who can't afford to feed their own family) as that
particular song's celebration of the beauty of the human intellect.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com