Hawkfest, public transportation

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Wed Jul 30 16:11:53 EDT 2003

I haven't phoned the tourist office yet but I was kind of assuming that
the only realistic way of getting there from Preston will be taxi.
It's about 12 miles - ish so the cost could be in the region of £20 or
so (at a guess).   Getting a group of folks to meet up in Preston
station might be one possible arrangement?

> P.S.  My train-connection layover in Manchester is 10 minutes.
> What is the likelihood of such a connection being missed due to
> the lateness of the first train?  (Just so I know whether to plan
> for that extra hour of travel time...like I do now coming from
> Germany-to-Switzerland...although never the other way around.)

There are various scenarios here (in order of liklihood) -
(1) Your incoming train will be late and your outgoing train will leave
on time - MISS
(2) Your incoming train will be more or less on time and your outgoing
train will leave on time - PROBABLY MISS because there is no way you
will be able (a) to find out which platform you need to be on or (b) get
to the other platform which will be about 15 mins walk away over
bridges, under subways, up endless stairs and at exactly the opposite
end of the station you started from
(3) Your incoming train will be late and your outgoing train will be
late - HIT (however this will only happen if your outgoing train is
coming in from somewhere else.  If it's starting from Manchester you are
doomed!).

On balance I'm afraid you will almost certainly miss this connection and
given that if you do make it - you will be the last person on - you'll
have been running all the way with a big heavy rucksack - and there will
be NO SEATS of any kind whatsoever and you'll have to stand all the
way - I would recommend a period of quiet contemplation over a cup of
strong coffee watching the anxious comings and goings of all those other
travellers forced to associate with one another in one of Britains
finest social meeting places - the Great British railway station.

Good luck!
jill